Twitter

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Hillcrest Grill

I'm falling behind! It was a while ago that KB and I brought baby J to the Hillcrest Grill, and I haven't had a chance to write about it yet. It's somewhat representative of the summer in general, though. So many big plans, not so much time to get it all done, and before you know it, school will be back in session, the leaves will be turning, and... It's probably best not to get caught up in thinking like that. Be in the moment... Be present... Breathe....

I'm okay now. Anyway, back to the Hillcrest. It had been several months since I had been there, and M and I were always saying it would be a great place for KB, C, and baby J to check out because it's so kid-friendly. So KB and I got together and made it over there. We sat outside because it was such a stunning evening. (Now you know it was a while ago considering the temperatures we've been having lately).

We started out with two of the white wine sangrias. They were so good, they didn't last very long. For fear of sucking down way too many of those, we both went with white wine after that. I did the Sonoma Cutrer chardonnay. KB had a pinot gris that she enjoyed. Baby J was thrilled to have his crayons and something to color, even thought it was more of an abstract piece by the time he was done with it.

You can tell these guys are used to dealing with kids. Ordering milk to put in J's sippy cup was no sweat, and even when a dish got broken, the server was cool as a cucumber. That kind of positive tone was so great and really helped contribute to an even more relaxing vibe.

As far as the food goes, we got some mini burgers for J, and even though KB and I both ordered the tilapia special, I had mentioned how good the pot roast mini sandwiches were, and so we put in for an order of those, as well. Of course, the mini pot roast sandwiches were great, especially with the horseradish sauce it comes with. the tilapia was also good, and while I did't finish all the greens, I liked that it had the summery presentation of being on greens with a nice fruity viniagrette.

All in all, a really pleasant meal, much to the credit of our laid-back server. It also doesn't hurt that it's pretty close by, too.

EOD Bathroom Rating: I didn't get a chance to go to the bathroom while we were there last (I keep forgetting to check them out). If I remember correctly, there's one single, largish bathroom with a door right off the east side of the dining room. I'll check next time.

No comments: