Twitter

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Rioja

I've been to Rioja about a half dozen times since it opened and have generally enjoyed it, but the dinner we had on a recent Saturday night with KB & C (sans Baby J) was exceptional.

Our reservation was on the early side, and we got a cozy seat in the "sidecar" area on the right side of the restaurant. We got the party started with a cocktail. KB went with the classic vodka martini, M with the Bombay Sapphire martini, C with a Belvedere and soda with lemon, and me with the only girly drink at the table, the Pomiginger martini (I love ginger!!!).

Before I mention the apps, I must give praise to our exceptional server. I can't remember his name, but he was an absolute superstar. Perfectly funny, friendly, polished and professional. He even whipped out his mini flashlight when C wanted to know the maker of the shnazzy pepper mill he was using.

Anyway, the appetizer was the Rioja Picnic. M and I had this one afternoon this past summer on the mini patio in front (another great day). It includes olives, chorizo, some dried duck thing, a couple of yummy cheeses, toasted almonds, and a shaved fennel and red onion thing. Sooo good.

The two couples each split a salad. House for KB & C, Beet Salad for M and me (accomodatingly w/o walnuts for me!) Then the main course. Both C and M had the veal. M wanted to try the Veal Cheeks because the dish had a cavatelli-like ricotta/gnocchi side. He liked the flavor but thought he gnocchi too mushy. KB and I both went with the duck. Mmm mmm mmm. Perfect for a post-Thanksgiving, it-sure-is-winter kind of feeling. MMMM!

We were so full by the end, but as pleasantly so as possible. We walked it off a bit on our way to the ballet, which by the way, was wonderful. Yeay!

No comments: