Twitter

Thursday, June 30, 2005

Milagro Taco Bar

Shortly after M. and I got back from Italy (more about that later), we were jonesing for the kind of food you can only get in America -- Mexican! We were swimming around in the pool (too hot to wait for the adult swim only ten minutes away) when we realized there had been a new Mexican place that we'd been to and really liked, but couldn't remember. (Two weeks of incredible wine, cheese and pasta can do that to the mind.)

Eventually, after recalling that we sat outside, and that our friend KB was there, we finally remembered that it was the Milagro Taco Bar that we had enjoyed before leaving for our trip. We decided to go back that very evening.

The name "Milagro Taco Bar" doesn't necessarily reflect the intention of the place. You might think, "Taco bar? So will it have self-serve salsa?" Not at all. The feel is definitely more serious (but not too serious), as indicated by the menu and attentive staff. It is definitely not just a taco bar.

The first time we went, I ordered a regular house margarita and the house coin-style marg. The coin style was excellent; much less sweet than the regular. KB and I shared the combination plate that's under the lighter dishes section of the menu. If I remember correctly, there was a burrito, some soft tacos, and (I think) an enchilada. The server suggested the mahi mahi for the soft tacos, and I think we did chicken and some kind of meat for the remaining two parts of the combination. It was excellent. Oh, and I also forgot to mention the goat cheese chile relleno. Interesting, but I have to admit I didn't love it as much as I thought I would. Perhaps I've been spoiled by the relleno at Tamayo, and the crispy relleno at Brewery Bar II.

Long story short -- we were so psyched to go back that I think our expectations were built up too much. M and I got two entrees from a different section of the menu: the carne asada and the carnitas. The carne asada had a tasty sauce and some slightly more traditional rellenos, but the meat was too fatty. M's carnitas were also too fatty, although the taste itself was good. After expressing his disappointment, he waxed poetic about the carnitas at La Cueva, and we talked about the fact that we should get back over there at some point.

So, generally speaking, I recommend the dishes from the lighter side of Milagro Taco
Bar's menu, as well as the coin style margs. The outside seating area is fantastic, and the servers are doing a fantastic job. I'm not sure why M & I both had fatty meat experiences on our second visit, but maybe is was just something going on that day.


E.O.D. Bathroom Rating: 4 out of 5 flushes - Clean and recently updated to be consistent with the restaurant's theme.

No comments: